Simplify your family’s clothing

clothingbanner

This year I am striving to live more intentionally and simplify our lives. I am hoping to end 2013 with a feeling of simplicity and be more intentional in all that I do. Want to join me?

This week I am simplifying all of our clothing. What is hard to admit is that we have already been simplifying for a few years. We are still thinning out our clothes. I think this is always going to be an ongoing process. So I did a huge purge of every closet and drawer in our house. I was pretty vicious in attacking all of the things that we did not need.

Audrey had the most clothes out of all of us. And if you have a little girl you might be shaking your head in understanding. They come with lots of stuff! :)

I was pretty ruthless here. It also helps that she loves to wear the same things over and over. She also lives in dresses in the summer. That girl loves her dresses.  I think when kids have too many things they get so overwhelmed. Their little bodies and minds just can’t deal with so much. That is a major reason why I am on my journey to simplify.

Here are my clothes. I have a secret to confess. I hope none of these clothes are here by this summer. I hope none of them fit and they are too big. I will cheer the day I pack them all up and donate them. I packed my “skinny clothes” into this tote.

These are mostly brand new and have tags still on some of them! I can’t wait to see them out of their box and be wearing them.

Here is my after. I love seeing it all organized. I can’t wait to see it all GONE. I have big plans for this closet too. I can’t wait to paint everything.

Here is my hubby’s closet. His stays pretty organized. I replaced our hangers recently with huggable hangers that I got for FREE with our amazon rewards. Yeah! I like them so far. I like how clothes don’t fall off the hangers as easily.

My husband and Ethan recently needed new jeans. I picked up their favorite jeans at Old Navy. When I got home I made sure they gave me two of their older pairs to purge. 2 in 2 out! Keeps it simplified!

Boys really can mess up the knees of jeans, don’t they? haha

I am going to give you a sneak peak here. I have been painting trim throughout our house. A little bit at a time. I stopped painting for the winter right now. I want to simplify our house and get it completely organized before I do more DIY projects. But I have a lot planned.

Ethan and Kam have pretty simplified closets. I didn’t have to do much in there but straighten up a bit. (I will show you Kam’s room another time. It is under a big renovation right now. I promise its worth the wait. But for now it is top secret.:)

You can see where I have been painting trim. I am also doing his room in a baseball theme. We are also trying out different paint colors. He got a new light switch cover, and more other baseball decor. But back to his clothes. They are simplified! :)

Here is my purge pile. It feels so good to simplify things so that when I clean it is fast and easier. Time is priceless. You can’t get back time. So making sure I make the most of my time and don’t spend my life doing household chores is very important to me.

What about you? Does it make your heart happy to see organized closets? I love walking into my room and seeing my closets so organized!

Comments

1. I did this (simplifying our closets) with my family a few years ago– best thing I ever did. Good luck with your journey to simplify life!

2. Julia Kendrick says:

I love how simplified and organized everything looks! I need to work on this in at my house! Thanks for sharing, Erin!

3. Brandi Borchardt says:

Girl, I’ve been doing the same thing, it feels fabulous!!! Love your painting..great job!!

4. I loved this post! I just went through this with my two year old son and gave away 2 huge garbage size bags of clothes. We have hand-me-downs (which I love!) coming in from multiple sources and while they are all nice he doesn’t really need 30 t-shirts. I love minimalistic living!

5. Diana Rambles says:

I live in disorganized chaos. I wasn’t like that when I worked outside the home. I guess I’ve just become immune since I am now home most of the time. I do feel a big sense of accomplishment when I do organize. I think my daughter’s 18″ dolls might have more clothes than she does! LOL! I found you over at I Freakin’ Did It. I too host a Friday party that you are welcome to join at DianaRambles.com.

6. I like the idea of folding the jeans on top, I have my husband’s on a hanger that holds multiple pairs, found at a garage sale years ago. I will have to try the folding with my son’s jeans though.

7. Jamie at Prepared to Eat says:

You have no idea how timely this post is! I was literally just upstairs going drill sergeant on my boys over their room and amazed at how many clothes were crammed under the beds. I already got rid of some stuff, but I’m thinking I need to do more.

Do you have a generic rule you use to decide how much to keep? I never know how much each child should really have.

8. You’re inspiring me to simplify a little more… It’s hard to get rid of “good” stuff – but I’m finding that I say “it’s just stuff” more and more… I’m a new follower of your blog and look forward to seeing more simplifying!

Danielle
    SewMuchCrafting.com

• Thanks so much Danielle! Stay tuned because I will be simplifying for the rest of the year every single piece of our lives! :) Thanks for following! Checking out your blog now.. :)

9. Dina-Marie @ Cultured Palate says:

This such an encouragment! I try to keep our lives simple but it is a constant battle! Our lives were greatly simplified when we moved to TX to start our family vineyard but it is so easy to lose sight of what is really important and live intentional!

I would love to have you share this and any of your other posts on Thursdays at Tasty Traditions: http://www.myculturedpalate.com

10. Katherines Corner says:

I love organization! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo

11. I SO need to do this. It make a big difference on how well the house runs if you get rid of excess. I found you from Homemaker on a dime.

12. I so need to do this! just a tip on the jeans for your son… LLBean or Lands End do this to their kid jeans. Add an extra layer on the inside. If you haven’t tossed the holey jeans, use the back of the knee panel, cut it out and sew to the inside of the knee of your son’s jeans. You may be able to see a little line of thread along the outside, but it really strenghtens them.

13. It does feel good to sort through things and have a good purge. I did a lot of that last year, and still have more to go! I’m slowly getting there – I think it gets easier the more you do to be more and more ruthless!!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

14. Stephanie Lynn Stevens says:

I love this. I was always overwhelmed with my laundry until we had to walk away from our home and most of our possessions because of hidden toxic mold in the house. Starting from scratch made it quite obvious what we need. I’ve found that 4-5 everyday outfits for each kid plus a couple nice things for Sunday is sufficient. It is AWESOME to be able to stay caught up on the laundry!!!

15. love it… we’ve downsized in the recent past and I was amazed at how ‘complex’ it was to have too much stuff…. so we’re ‘simplifying’, as well. :) I have to admit the giddy YAY I feel when I walk into a room that has tidy closets (and drawers!) and no feeling of too much. :) great post!

16. oh YES! It’s a great feeling to take off the burden. A few years ago I purged about 25% of all our Stuff, and I’m still enjoying the benefits from that. I’m thinking it’s time for another round.
    As for how many clothes you need: Both my children can get by indefinitely (in summer weather) with a carry-on sized suitcase of clothes. (In winter they need more bulky clothing).

17. Kerry@plentyplace says:

Nicely done. We’re working through this in our home, too. Your post encourages me to keep going! (I found you through the MercyInk link up).

18. Jenni @ Just Stuff says:

Thanks for the inspiring post. We are doing Project 333 at our house this year – 33 items only in your wardrobe for 3 months. At the end of Month #1, even 33 seems like a little too much!

19. Stephanie Lee says:

I love this! I am in a constant state of simplifying and editing down clothing these days. Here is my one question – what do you wear every day? Do you have a single pair of jeans you wear or a few? Do you have a few summer skirts or dresses or one? Do you just not mind wearing the same thing every day. My portion of the closet contents is small – I don’t own a lot at all (I am working s-l-o-w-l-y on quality over quanity) but I find myself getting board. I have two pairs of cheapy jeans since I gained weight this year and don’t want to spend money on a good pair (cheap being $13 for one and $20 for the other…wish I could find a pair at Goodwill that fit!) and they stretch out and start falling off me by lunch (not because I weigh less). And I have one shirt I really like and a few sweaters I layer over that shirt. I have two dresses I wear, my hubby does not like either one. That’s it. I don’t mind the smallness of what I own, I just get bored. And I am always wondering what someone who doesn’t have a ton wears every day. :)

• I wear a lot of yoga pants when I stay home and t-shirts. I work out a lot and go for a lot of walks with my daughter so I like to be comfortable. I wear jeans and a nice t-shirt when I go places and dress nicer on Sundays. I have made a goal to scan the goodwill and other thrift stores for as much as I can during my weight loss transition. I don’t want to spend too much money until I get to a solid weight that I stay at. :) THAT is my motivation!! :)

20. Steph (The Cheapskate Cook) says:

I just talked with a bunch of moms about simplifying clothes today. We keep our amount pretty low and selective, but I usually feel that we have more than we need. Nice to have some wiggle room. Your results look great! Adorable totes in the kids’ closet. Hope your under the bed tote is completely empty in the next few months! Thanks for sharing on Healthy 2Day Wednesday!

21. Anna - Riuso Creativo says:

Wow! You are really brave! But I, since I discovered the creative sewing and upcycling, do not throw or give plus the clothes of my little girl: I transform them. If you want, come and see my blog for some examples! henceforth I will follow you , because I want to win the mess too! :-) Anna

22. Seaweed & Raine says:

I’m working on my own home with a simmilar plan in mind… and post baby I’m looking forward to getting back into my “smaller” clothing too. Happy purging – and it’s great to see someone else who is on a simmilar journey.
    Sheree

23. Barb @ A Life in Balance says:

When I do the seasonal clothing switch, I declutter the clothing boxes before putting them away. I’ve learned that my kids don’t like jeans and some other types of clothes. The boys are easier to buy ahead for. My daughter not so much. I’m looking forward to her wearing a uniform next year.

Thanks for linking up at Motivation Monday!

24. BeColorful says:

I am doing the same thing right now and I cheer you on. I agree it feels so fabulous to donate what has become “little burdens” to me. Thing I have held on to not because I love them but because I paid too much for them, or think because somebody gave them to me I need to hang on to them forever. Not true. My friends and family would want me to let them go if they knew the consternation they were causing me. :D Thanks for sharing your purge story. I can so relate.
    p

25. I need to do this in the worst way. Thanks for sharing! …motivation!

26. Charlene@APinchofJoy.com says:

Paring things down seems to be an ongoing process. Stuff breeds more stuff — and it is sneaky in the ways it flies under the radar coming in, too! Thanks so much for linking on Busy Monday!

27. I’m always looking for ways to streamline our clothing. As our master bedroom is on the first floor and we have a fairly large walk-in closet we elected to put all of our littles (5 under 6yo) clothing into our closet. It makes it easier on me as we have the largest bathtub and I tend to bath multiple kids at the same time.

Where we run into issues is with storing the different seasons. Here in Houston it might be 34 degrees one night and 77 the next day then drop back down to the 50’s the following day so during our “winter” we have to have clothing available to cover a range of seasons which might occur all in one week.

If anyone has any good ideas on how to scale back and be organized under those conditions I’d love to hear them.